Crohn’s disease is an inflammatory disease of the intestines that can affect any part of the digestive system. Crohn’s disease is considered an auto-immunne disease where the body’s immune system attacks the tissues of the digestive system. Crohn’s disease appears to be associated with anti-yeast antibodies. Individuals with Crohn’s disease should avoid all yeast products and other common allergens. An anti-inflammatory diet and lifestyle are critical for full recovery from this condition. Avoid processed foods, sugars and increase intake of anti inflammatory foods such as coconut products, berries and greens that are high in vitamin D. Anti inflammatory herbs include turmeric, ginger, boswellia, cinnamon, rosemary and oregano among others should be used as much as possible.
In researching for this post, I came across Jini Patel Thompson who has written an interesting book on the subject ‘Listen to your gut’.
Here are her 8 principles of healing Crohn’s disease naturally.
1. Providing bowel rest using a special elemental (pre-digested) liquid diet
2. Killing off the bad bacteria and fungus in the gut (disease-causing organisms)
3. Re-populating the gastrointestinal tract with good bacteria
4. Healing intestinal inflammation and ulceration
5. Resolving nutritional deficiencies
6. Detoxing your living environment
7. Healing the contributing emotional factors
8. Balancing your hormones