These 20 natural remedies are a safe way to reduce the pain associated with period cramps. Natural remedies for period pain start with cleaning up your diet and eating a hormone balancing diet. Then adding herbs to your routine to ease the symptoms of period pain. Supplements can also help if your not getting the right vitamins and minerals from your diet. Then there are lifestyle changes you can make to bring your life back in to balance.
Period pain, know medically as dysmenorrhea is something that can be treated with natural remedies. Around ten percent of women who suffer from period pain describe their symptoms as severe. In all types of period pain, the womb lining beings to shed during the period. This release stimulates your womb to contract. If you have high levels of ‘bad’ prostaglandins, these natural muscular contractions will become painful.
Prostaglandins are chemicals that make your uterus contract to push blood out during your period. They’re actually the same hormones that cause contractions when women go into labor for giving birth and the higher your levels are, the more intense your period cramps are. When the chemicals make the muscle twist and turn, it cuts off oxygen to your uterus which is why it hurts so much.
Here are my 20 natural remedies for painful periods
- Eat more vegetables (broccoli, Brussels sprouts)
- Eat more Legumes (chickpeas, lentils and linseeds)
- Eat more Whole grains (Replace white with brown – bread, rice, pasta)
- Eat more good fiber from fruit and vegetables
- Increase your intake of good from oily fish, nuts, seeds, cold compressed oils
- Reduce and eliminate bad fats, saturated fats found in animal foods such as red meat
- Eliminate sugar from your diet as much as possible
- Drink six to eight glasses of mineral water every day to help flush out old hormones
- Reduce intake of bad fluids – Coffee, alcohol
- Choose organic food and reduce your exposure to harmful chemicals
- Read food labels and avoid foods containing preservatives, additives, and artificial sweeteners
- Black cohosh has a relaxant effect on the womb. Take 1 tsp in water 3 times per day.
- Don Quai improves circulation to your womb and acts as a natural pain killer. Take 1 tsp tincture in water twice daily.
- Black haw helps to relax the muscles of the womb. Take 1 tsp tincture in water daily.
- Skull cap relieves muscle spasms in the womb. Take 1 tsp tincture in water daily.
- Belladonna is a homeopathic remedy for throbbing and harsh menstrual pain.
- Acupuncture had been demonstrated in research to relive period pain.
- Aromatherapy oils e.g. clary sage, geranium and cypresses mixed in almond oil massaged into the painful area will help.
- Exercise such as walking or swimming releases endorphins natural pain killers.
- Soothing abdominal massage helps to soothe away cramping and period pains.
If you would like to learn more about herbal medicine give me a call at 0860261240 or check out my Youtube channel.