Take up your cross is the Christian philosophy. Suffering has always been part of the Christian spirituality. Some argue that this was promoted to keep people down. To stop them rebelling against the oppression that was causing their suffering. While we may have to accept our suffering, society is full of ways to avoid suffering e.g., sugar, alcohol, drugs, chocolate etc. However one of the biggest causes of suffering comes from poor diet. Food is medicine as the saying goes. However its not until, we are suffering from some painful condition like arthritis, that we realise its too late.
Well thats whats happened to me! Call its what you will, frozen shoulder, capsulitis or lactic acid, its a painful experience. So far i have tried acupuncture, dietary changes, massage, rest, exercise, hydrotherapy, herbs, magnesium oil applied externally, kombucha, wheat grass, cayenne pepper, apple cider vinegar and finally a new latex mattress! I probably need all of those things, but the thing I need most is pain relief and I found that this week in the form of Cats Claw Herb!
Cats Claw is a vine commonly known as Una de Gato and is used traditionally in Peruvian medicine for the treatment of a wide range of health problems, particularly digestive complaints and arthritis and to treat wounds, stomach problems, cancer, and more. It has only recently caught the attention of western herbalists and researchers.
This herb’s anti-inflammatory properties may help to relieve arthritis, gout, and other inflammatory problems. The primary mechanism for Cat’s claw anti-inflammatory actions appears to be immunomodulation via suppression of TNF-alpha synthesis.
Cat’s Claw can often be found combined with other ‘immune’ herbs with similar healing properties such as Echinacea and may:
- reduce pain and inflammation of rheumatism, arthritis and other types of inflammatory problems.
- have anti-tumor and anti-cancer properties that inhibits cancerous cell formation.
- promote the healing of wounds.
- be useful for treatment of gastric ulcers and intestinal complaints
- help to relieve chronic pain.
- enhance immunity by stimulating the immune system.
- help people experiencing stomach and bowel disorders, including colitis, Crohn’s disease, irritable bowel syndrome, leaky bowel syndrome, gastritis and duodenal ulcers, intestinal inflammation.
- help fight both viral and fungal infections such as Herpes and Candida